King Henry VIII School is an 11-18 co-educational comprehensive school, which was established in 1542. It moved to its current site on the periphery of Abergavenny in the 1960s and shares its facilities with the town’s Leisure Centre.
The school is in Group 7 and there are 1150 pupils on roll. There are 180 students in the Sixth Form; the vast majority are studying AS/A2 courses. The school is a 6-form entry with pupils placed in all-ability tutor groups. Examination results at all levels are above the national average.
The school provides a pleasant, well-ordered and civilised environment in which students feel secure and happy and achieve success. Consideration for others, responsibility towards the community and active support of commonly held codes of good behaviour are high priorities within the school. Whilst we expect our students to act with good sense and self-control, the school maintains a high standard of discipline and is fair and considerate but firm.
Apart from the main classroom areas, there is a wide range of purpose built facilities, including a main school and a sixth form library, a music technology suite with recording studio, five net-worked computer rooms, science laboratories and Design and Technology areas with their own ICT suites. All departments have their own dedicated teaching areas and there are over 40 interactive whiteboards in use throughout the school.
The school has use of the Leisure Centre facilities, which include Sports Hall, swimming pool, squash courts gymnasium, fitness centre, an all weather 'Astroturf' pitch and red-gra area. A SPORTLOT grant of £250,000 has resulted in the creation of a Multi-User Games Area (MUGA); funding is also being sought to redevelop the school gymnasium. Spacious games fields adjoin the site and the school becomes a Sports Development Centre from September 2004.
The community uses the school extensively for Sport, Adult Education and Community Activities.